[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 50 years ago today

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "act148@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <act148@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:55:37 -0800 (PST)

I was taking an English test. I had just finished when the the principal
announced the news of the shooting. The teacher asked them to turn off the
radio as it interrupted the class. I got up and left for another classroom.
The school was across from a catholic church and the student body fairly
instantly decided to go there.The principal decided to stand in the way.
Mistake. Then the school buses showed up and we were sent home.
The rest of the long weekend was spent in front of the TV. Still hear the
drums, see the black and white images.
I made a trip to Arlington in 1968 - just sat there by the flame looking across
at Bobby's fresh grave. Bobby's birthday was 2 days ago.
Ruth

On Friday, November 22, 2013 8:05 AM, Amber Turley <act148@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those of us who were old enough, remember every detail of that announcement and
the horrendous days that followed.  I know what class I was in, who was sitting
in front of me, the teacher and the sound of complete and utter stunned silence
that permeated my high school.  We left school early and spent the following
days glued in front of the TV.  Its memory still brings tears into my eyes and
a weight on my heart.

Amber

On Nov 22, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Penny & Bill wrote:

> For me, I was in the 8th grade and in English class when the news came.  I
> cried, putting my face on the desk so that nobody would see.  We were
> released from school and I ran all the way home.  I squeezed the bejesus out
> of my Beagle dog Star.  I just didn't understand then and I don't now.
>
> Penny in NC
> The Farm Dog Forever

is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.