[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 5 year old maiden bitch

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, arizonarick@xxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 03:59:35 -0700 (PDT)

I missed my bitch Leah 3 times in before I figured out I needed to do
Progesterone, and wait to see the number 5 before a breeding was
done(progesterone would sit at 2-3 for up to two weeks).  Eventhough she had
one litter prior, bred normal days (12-14)she missed again and again after. I
found she changed her cycle to be bred day 22-24 and this is why I missed her.
I was able to get 2 litters her from her after  (age 5 and 6) after I figured
out what I was doing wrong, and for me it was worth breeding her despite
missing her several times since with her 2nd litter she was able to earn her
ROM.

Breeding your bitch is a decision I would make based on her pedigree, titles
she has earned, OFA certifications, etc. and why you are breeding her.  If it
is just to get pups, no I would not spend the extra money to get her bred on
the corrrect days.  If it is you feell she is such quality that she has the
ability to produce better than she is, than I would try to breed her again
naturally using progesterone timing, waiting to see 5 (not 2-3-4), and with an
aggressive stud who is proven to produce.

Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11 months)