[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 5 Point Shows- A thing of the past? ;>(

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx, vande001@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:14:23 -0800 (PST)

GSDC of N Indiana also drew 5 point entries last year. Judges were John Bemont
and Bo Vukovich.  These two also judge dogs and I think people are beginning to
catch on that not all judges do and who they are. We are anticipating 5 points
next September also, as we have Lee Brown and Michael Cheeks.
caggra@xxxxxxx wrote:This may be perceived as a handler getting defensive, but
I do not think that handler's prices are a huge reason for a decline in entries
in some areas. I think that it is a combination of many things. Back in the
70's & 80's handlers charged in the $50-60 range. Now 20-30 years later
competitive handlers are anywhere from the $65-100 range (for the most part...
I know there are a couple of exceptions to this.)
That is not an extreme increase considering the increase in cost of everything
else in the world!
Also, I agree that there are certainly areas where 5 pt majors are more common.
Last year our Specialties (Cincinnati & Central Ohio) drew 5 point majors for
the first time in many years and that was against a Futurity weekend only 6 or
7 hours away!!! After several years of declining entries, I see increasing
entries in our area at most shows...at least this past year. It's too early to
tell if this is a trend or a fluke. We'll see this year! I think that we got
better entries than usual because we had judges that had not judges in this
area several times in the past several months and they were judges that are
known to do their own thing and judge dogs. The benefits of that are higher
entries and lots of good dogs to chose from! By the way those judges were Twyla
Miner & Gary Szymczak.

Jeff