[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4th of July I HATE IT!!!!!

  • From: "Sarah Bishop" <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:41:48 -0400

My old dog was so bad on the 4th she had to be tranquilized to the point of
incoherence to be able to cope.  Last year I tried some herbal remedies
(hops, chamomile and valerian mixed together into an infusion) that kept her
calm and sleeping at my mom's but she was coherent and alert the minute I
put her leash on her to go home.

This year I was curious to see how the new dog would react.  The breeder
told me he was fine with storms and fireworks and I hadn't really seen any
reactions but it was very loud on the 4th around me.  The neighbors were
setting off little ones and James (the dog) stood very calmly for quite some
time watching them out the window as sparks shot everywhere and such.

After that was done the big loud ones were going off and he was pacey and
panting but still fairly calm.  Gave him a chew bone after he sat and
recalled and he was fine with it after that.  All in all for me it was a
very refreshing change.

Sarah and James

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07