[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4th of July I HATE IT!!!!!

  • From: "Castle Kennels, Ltd." <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <grnram415@xxxxxxx>, <Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 06:44:12 -0500

I was just thinking the same thing.? I used to love the 4th.? Now I dread
it.? I have sedated one dog and now another is hiding.? The dogs that are
outside seem to be handling it ok, but I am checking on them constantly.?
Bet they won't argue about coming inside to bed tonight.?

I, too, hate the 4th!  Two or three days before the 4th, they started
shooting off fireworks.  One of my bitches was so traumatized by them that I
thought she would have a heart attack.  She was frantically trying to get
out of her run, climbing up the sides (it is covered so she couldn't get
out), and frothing at the mouth.  I brought her in and put her in her crate.
She was panting so hard, it really concerned me.  It took almost two hours
to calm her down.  The next day, I got some tranquilizers to give her last
night before all the racket started.

She never reacted to fireworks when she was young.  I don't know what
happened to her.  The other dogs were ok at first but as they got louder
last night, they all escaped to their crates on their own.

I'm sure today and tomorrow, there will be more fireworks shot off in small
spurts throughout the evening.  I will be so glad when it is all over!

Pat
Castle Kennels, Ltd.
Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign
www.castlekennels.com