[ SHOWGSD-L ] 4th of July

  • From: ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (showlist)
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:21:37 +0000

Sheila writes:
"Liddy has never liked storms or fireworks.  In Miami we get both, often.  Most
of the time I just put her on a down stay near me and keep her with me and we
do
fine.  Sissy is learning from her and it is not good.  I am not impressed"

You know, I wonder if the fear is a learned thing sometimes.  When Lucy was a
puppy/young dog she was with my old male brick and a young female BJ.  Brick
was fearless and they would stand together outside on the deck during
thunderstorms and fireworks and she showed no affects from them. BJ was afraid
of both. After Brickie died it was just the two of them and she watched BJ's
fear. She still never showed any fear until last year after BJ died.  All of a
sudden I noticed she was very nervous and clingy during thunderstorms. Luckily,
last year and this year there were very few fireworks in Los Alamos so she
wasen't too bad. Now the young bitch Jessie is fearless,  the other day she was
outside barking during a thunderstorm, I had to call her in. It will be
interesting to see if she "learns" to fear it also.
And speaking of the things we do for our dogs:
It seems I've always had one dog among the group afraid of the fireworks.  One
year I packed up all of the dogs and went up into the mountains until I thought
it would be over, another time I played a leonard skynard concert that was on
TV full blast.  One year Bacardi had a litter of puppies in the garage and I
had a radio on loud.  Funny, but with the new puppies she wasen't too concerned
about the fireworks going on in the neighborhood.   I've been lucky and have
never had to sedate a dog, have always felt bad to read the stories of dogs
going through windows from their fear.

Sheri Chambers