[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4th of July

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: HelenFranklin520@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:48:15 EDT

My mother's people came from two small towns in PA; Ashland and Mt.
Carmel.  Until I was seven years old, I had a Great Aunt (much loved and  QUITE
the character!) who remained in Ashland.  As a child, the "entrance"  to
Ashland on Route 61 seemed so very grand with flowers in the center of the
road
leading up to the tribute to Ashland's war dead, but in reality  Ashland
can't be more than a mile long and maybe four blocks wide.  It was  a coal
town, nestled between two steep hills, with the Catholic church on one  end and
the Presbyterian church at the other.  I guess you'd say it was/is  a poor
town, but it never occurred to us to see it that way.  I loved  it!  Still
do...

Most of the family moved to Philadelphia and later the suburbs, a few moved
 to VA, one to NY later Pittsburgh. For most of the big holidays, Dad and I
would  drive the two hours to collect Aunt Ca (short for Cass) who remained
in the  family house in Ashland.

But not on the 4th.

For the 4th of July, family would travel and stay in Ashland PA, and we
would be in Aunt Ca's house and we'd open up another house next door belonging
 to relatives (I forget how we were related, but they must have been nice
people  to lend us the house!)  Tables in the kitchens would groan from the
weight  of goodies, Aunt Ca's neighbors and enough nuns and priests to
guarantee a quick  entrance to heaven if  you were included in their prayers
<G>
would all drop in to visit, bring more goodies, pinch cheeks,  remark on how
much children had grown and laughter and pinochle games would  last well
into the night....but OH the parade!

"Our" house was on South 11th Street between Walnut and Center  Streets.
The house we sometimes used to put up overflow visitors was on  the corner of
Walnut street, across from St. Joe's, "our" church and  adjacent the
convent.  Both houses had porches. Those participating in  the parade would
"practice" on Market, which ran behind the town, then,  once they reached to
top
of the hill, they would turn and give their polished  performance heading
down Center Street.  Lucky us!!!  We got to  see the parade TWICE!!!!  Some
families would put rickety lawn chairs along  Center Street but we weren't that
good at sitting and walked a bit with the  parade. (I don't think anybody
remained seated when the veterans went by.)  I remember to this day being
perched on either my father's or my Uncle Tom's  shoulders for the very BEST
view.

There was MUCH preparation; every house had flags and crepe paper  bunting
but the real show stopper was what the Lady's Club had done to the
memorial.

Over the years I've been back to Ashland.  I take the long route and
"visit" the house each time I go to the Bloomsburg PA shows.  You know what  is
amazing?  My memories of the times in that house are as vivid as if I  was in
the house yesterday. I remember the dining room, table groaning with the
weight of Sunday supper, who knows how many around it, 10 to 12 at least,
under  the rich, handmade mahogany ceiling tiles crafted by my grandfather,
"good  glasses" which we used, not saving for special occasions, some brought
over from  Ireland, sparkling behind the leaded glass of the built-ins.  I
remember  the pinochle games played at the Formica kitchen table, 6 sitting
around the  table.  There was a rocking chair in the kitchen, white, in the
corner near  the cellar stairs ("Kathy, don't rock down those stairs!!!")  A
steep  center staircase that my feet still remember the feel of lead to three
 bedrooms and a sewing room upstairs. AND an attic that I loved, haunted by
our  resident ghost, the miner Ike Morgan, but that's another story).  "We"
had  a music room tucked behind the parlor.  My great-grandmother (or was
it  great-great???) took in boarders and fed them and did their laundry for
extra  money, so with all of this, you'd think it was a big house...right?
Quite the contrary, and that is what is so amazing.  I parked   the dog show
van in front of the porch on one visit and realized the  house hardly is
more than the length of the van wide. It isn't much  deeper.

How we fit all of the love, laughter, friends and good  times we did under
that modest, flat, coal tar roof is beyond me.

I have a favorite print in my hall upstairs called "July 4th" by Jones
III.  It features two modest wood chairs on a wooden porch. What  remains of
the "good glass' collection now sparkles under lights in my dining  room.

I agree with you Helen; there is nothing like the way a small town
celebrates the 4th.  Thanks for bringing back so many beautiful  memories!

I hope everybody had a wonderful 4th!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 7/4/2009 8:03:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx writes:

Born and  raised in Los Angeles, California and having spent all but a
couple of years  of my life in very large Southern California cities, I never
had the  opportunity to observe a small town 4th of July celebration.? I'd
seen them  portrayed in movies and on T.V., but nothing could have prepared me
for the  charm and the "heart" of being at one in person.? The parade was
three doors  away from where I live on the "main street", so I?grabbing my dog
show chair,  and?I joined the crowd.? Blaine is a waterfront boarder?town
of 2,800  residents and one traffic signal.? Tons of children lined
the?parade route?to  gather candy that was thrown by all of those taking?part
in the
parade.?The  spectators wore shorts except unlike California, they all had
white skin.?  Red, white and blue was the attire everywhere and exuberance
was the only  atmosphere. For an hour we appreciated the fire department,
tractors, farm  animals, the girl scouts, boy scouts, high school cheer team,
motorcycles, old  c
ars, reserve soldiers, boarder patrol and dogs of every kind and size.?
Leading
the dogs was a handsome black and tan male that had to be a  Woodside dog.?
I can now identify them, and just sent a quick email to Sandy.?  I think
that this was the best 4th of July ever.? It was so what the  celebration of
the birth of our nation is all about...folks just being  folks...and I'm so
glad I finally got to see it.? Hope you do  too.

Helen Franklin
44 Year Member GSDCA
Put an A O E in the  Ped-i-gree

Helen Franklin
44 Year Member GSDCA
Put an A O  E in the  Ped-i-gree

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org