[ SHOWGSD-L ] 4th of July

  • From: helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:31:40 -0400

Born and raised in Los Angeles, California and having spent all but a couple of
years of my life in very large Southern California cities, I never had the
opportunity to observe a small town 4th of July celebration.? I'd seen them
portrayed in movies and on T.V., but nothing could have prepared me for the
charm and the "heart" of being at one in person.? The parade was three doors
away from where I live on the "main street", so I?grabbing my dog show chair,
and?I joined the crowd.? Blaine is a waterfront boarder?town of 2,800 residents
and one traffic signal.? Tons of children lined the?parade route?to gather
candy that was thrown by all of those taking?part in the parade.?The spectators
wore shorts except unlike California, they all had white skin.? Red, white and
blue was the attire everywhere and exuberance was the only atmosphere. For an
hour we appreciated the fire department, tractors, farm animals, the girl
scouts, boy scouts, high school cheer team, motorcycles, old c
 ars, reserve soldiers, boarder patrol and dogs of every kind and size.? Leading
the dogs was a handsome black and tan male that had to be a Woodside dog.? I
can now identify them, and just sent a quick email to Sandy.? I think that this
was the best 4th of July ever.? It was so what the celebration of the birth of
our nation is all about...folks just being folks...and I'm so glad I finally
got to see it.? Hope you do too.

Helen Franklin
44 Year Member GSDCA
Put an A O E in the Ped-i-gree