[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4th of July

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

In my training I talk about intent.  If you want your dog to be friendly, don't
use a coddling voice when they are unsocial.  It matters that you convey to
your dog what you want, not what they are doing that you don't want.

  Right now there is more thunder.  Liddy would love for me to worry with her.
But if she comes to me again, I will put her under the desk and on a stay.
That is all she gets from me.

  It must be S Fla, thunder every afternoon for months on end.  But if this
happens daily, we tend to avoid hurricanes.
  sheila
Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have found it interesting to read the 4th of July thread. I, personally am
not crazy about all the snap, crackle, pop, but the dogs think its lots of
fun to stand on the fence line and bark.

Coming from dalmatians where we desensitize the puppies to noises (because
some are sound sensitive and some only hear in one ear) and I just sort of
automatically transferred it over to the GSD... The girls are so used to
every noise imaginable that thunder, etc. don't bother them.

Many, many years ago we had a couple of dal girls who were afraid of thunder
and would hide in the back of their crates. We figured out that if you
desensitized the pups to noises, they would grow up to be much happier
adults..

AND NEVER, EVER baby them....

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals
& Two GSD
Acara's Simmie Orion Free (Spoiled pet, boss and going back to obedience to
get a title at the age of 8))
Simcar's Peppermint BonBon (up & coming hopeful)

http://liveearth.msn.com

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.