[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 40 GSDS seized in Durham, NY

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LinronsKnl@xxxxxxx" <LinronsKnl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:04:29 -0600

How sad!  At least the property owner came to do a check and found these dogs
before things got worse for them- that house is CLEAN as compared (which I'm
not defending the lady, but giving kudos to the owner who had concern for her
place enough to check on it!) to the last "mass rescue" I was in for 20+ GSDs.
I could still SEE the floor in that place on the video clip; unlike the 8" of
poop & trash compacted to the floor where I've seen with my eyes & walked with
my feet. That's only just one example... But I was an ACO where I used to live
in IL so I had to see a lot more than the average Joe.
Glad there were no dead dogs either. That is always so hard to deal with both
legally & emotionally.
My question that I've always wondered is:  WHY would someone even BOTHER to
have so many dogs (when it's obvious one is overrun- in this case not only in
one home but two?) when it is become obvious that one is so overrun to the
point they can't be cared for?  What's the darned point?!?!?? I have never been
able to fathom....
Unfortunately, this appears to becoming a more & more common scene- "dog (cat
etc) hoarders" are being busted all over the country these days. Unfortunately,
the last 5 dog cases very similar to this that I have heard about (things like
this news clip- thanks for providing it at least I didn't cry for this one
seeing everyone alive and even that lovely happy male in the clip though that
lop-eared skinny bitch was very frightened)--- and these last 5 big "busts" are
all within less than the last 3 years.  !!!!  Years ago, it used to be HUGE
news if an animal abuser/hoarder was found out; I went years in between hearing
about each one... What happened???
Is there a way that we as dog owners & exhibitors (or as a club) can even do
anything to prevent this from happening over and over again? At least in our
own breed, as we are its custodians?  Anything?
It sorta sticks bad in my mind that the worst conditions & biggest numbers I
have seen in these past 3 years (less actually) have both been GSD seizures!
If this lady doesn't get convicted for felony charges, she will be able to go
out and get herself more dogs to do this again, which is exactly what has
happened in EVERY of the other mentioned cases here recently, where the person
only was convicted of a misdemeanor (which the water bucket rule is in the
states I know for sure)-- free to go and fill up & ruin another someone else's
house with more victims!
Sorry 'bout the rant-- hearing about these kinda of cases just burns my hide!
Jen P & the Pack so glad these dogs are in better living conditions for the
time being

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html