[ SHOWGSD-L ] 20 years

  • From: "E.G. Baker" <shadowbrooktx@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "show shepherd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:31:39 -0500

About 5 years ago Joy & I went to our first Specialty in over 20 years. We
showed
in the early-mid 70s & did pretty well in the ring with me handling against far
superior handlers. Were even fortunate enough to produce an ROM Bitch in our
first litter. We
do have Sally Holcombe to thank for that (and Doug Crane for finishing her
progeny)

When we went to the first show, & a couple after that, We both were questioning
how in the world did we ever put a point on any our old dogs. We were comparing
on pictures from the old shows & our memory. The Dogs & Bitches of today are
far better in many ways than we remembered. It was only when I started ordering
Tapes of the old National & especially the Past 20 Year Video that we realized
our dogs were not as bad as we thought. I am sure some will differ with me &
that's okay I wouldn't argue the point The
Top dogs of that era were outstanding for sure, but I really feel the Dogs &
Bitches in the ring today are (as a group) more appealing to watch. I also
don't think some care to remember the problems that were present back then. I
have seen many beautiful Males,
at recent shows, Masculine, great shoulder, etc. out there plowing up the ring
with one or both rear feet. That is a problem. Also there are some "Bitchy"
Dogs & "Doggy" Bitches There always has been. I think Hips are far better than
they were, thanks to Selective Breeding. If there were no problems there
wouldn't be any challenges to the Breeders.

Gene BakerGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com