[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 2 specialties in one day approved for 2007, oppinions please

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:05:04 -0800 (PST)

I think the idea of 2 shows on one day is an intrigueing one. I see four
possible items that should be considered:

  1. Fatigue and Stress on the Dogs: Today in California the average show lasts
from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. In the good old days it would last till 4 and 5 pm.
So i think the dogs can handle it. And secondly the dogs would not have to come
to the shows a second day, so that i think would be preferable for the dogs.
  It could be possibly more stressful for puppies however.

  2. Expenses- I think 2 shows on one day are definately more cost effective
for exhibitors. With the increased costs of transportation,lodging and food, i
think one day would dramatically reduce expenses for most exhibtors(not only
their personal expenses but also for the expenses that they cover for handlers)

  3. Show Grounds: Unless the shows are indoors, at certain times of the year
in certain areas of the country darkness and light need to be considered.
Althought starting the show at 9:00 may solve this problem.

  4. Particpation by New Members; Have shows on only one day of the weekend may
make dogs shows less restrictive to a lot of people who find it difficult to
provide the committment of both days of the weekend dedicated to dog shows.

  In considering these four items, IMHO it would be a positive step to take.

  Bill
Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I am violently in favor of having 2 shows in one day. First the costs
involved drop for everyone involved. Handlers only have to groom once for 2
shows, better for the dogs? and if the judges are of the same general opinion,
the entries should be better. As for the limit on night time shows, let's see
about that. It might just prove to be a good number, and it might not. But
Sunday night shows will likely be the smallest entry, and the highest pulled,
so that working folk can go to work on Monday.

But if I understand correctly, a club must hold only one of its shows each day,
if there are 2 clubs, so if clubs share the burden, it should be a win win win
situation, for at least WD and WB and BOB!!!

I think this is a great way to increase entry and reduce costs.
Sheila
LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi listers,
I am sure most of you are aware that AKC will approve two specialty shows to
be held on the same day starting in 2007. Want opinions on how exhibitors,
handlers feel about holding one show in the morning then another show in the
afternoon. We have the futurity in April of 2007 and are thinking of having a
Friday afternoon show, Saturday morning show then a Saturday afternoon show.
The
futurity will be held on Sunday. Would this be to much for one weekend? Would
it hurt or help the entries? You may send private but then some on the list
may also be interested in how others feel about this new approval from AKC.
AKC is also putting in effect that night time specialties will be limited to
50 entries in 2007. I spoke with Robin Stansell in Raleigh this weekend and
this has passed and will take effect in 2007. Some friends of mine called AKC
to see if there was any possibility of raising that limit to at least 75. They
were told that the parent clubs of the various breeds would need to complain
to AKC that the 50 limit is to low. AKCs position from talking to Robin
Stansell is that if you get more than 50 then you should be able to hold your
show
without the help of the AB shows. They feel if you have an entry of less than
50
then you cannot afford to have a stand alone specialty but if you have more
than you should be able to afford it.

Lee Brown

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC for low, low
rates.

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original