[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 2 specialties in one day approved for 2007, oppinions p...

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:07:50 -0500

A couple of years ago (and Greg has mentioned this just a few posts ago)
at the Monroe, LA, shows, I got to experience a set of all breed shows
(breed and groups) with night specialties...and I didn't see anyone
falling down from exhaustion... in fact, when the food came out, the
handlers were right there joking around with the rest of us!
     All those shows were indoors...in a really big ring, and no one
complained about them being indoors, or about the ring being too small
for specialty dogs (and there were a couple of dogs shown who have now
become household names in the GSD world, not your average all-breed
dog)...I think everyone there had a good time.
    People were all around grooming, in fact, people were helping one
another the entire time...  I was quite taken with the spirit shown by
everyone involved at those shows.
    Enough so that I came home and suggested to our Virginia clubs that
we try to work something out with the Virginia Beach all breed cluster
in November for our December specialties...4 shows with two night time
specialties...the idea was pooh-poohed with "oh no, our dogs have to be
shown outdoors."  This in spite of the fact that the outdoor December
shows are always colder than a well-digger's behind, and often in mud up
to the handlers' and judges' ankles--
    Now comes another story...the Tarheel Circuit just finished...Joan
Segro has bragged about her wins there, as has Tom Castriota...people,
the Tarheel is a week long circuit, and guess what?  The NC clubs went
in there at night for their specialties...all held indoors in the ring
used at the all breeds for Best in Show.  Did you read any complaints
from Tom?  from Joan?  from any of the judges?  No, you did not.
    It can be done...and as Lanalee said, if you are so tired you can't
do it, just don't enter everything.
    Still, 6 sets of majors is hard to turn down in these times...when
the clubs work it out so you don't have to worry about the weather, and
ensure that the ring is specialty sized, what is the problem?  Entries
go up (these were all 4 and 5 point shows, were they not?)...everybody
gets a chance to hang out for a few days and enjoy themselves...it just
may be the way of the future.
Peggy