[ SHOWGSD-L ] 1st Pups, 2wks Questions

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:33:15 -0600

Hello All,

Venus' puppies are two weeks old today, and too precious for words of course!
Venus is doing a great job as a first-time mom, but I am seeing signs that she
wants her old life back.  Between my gsd books, visits to the vet, and list
postings, I am seeing a lot of contradictions about when to do what and would
appreciate help with the following questions:

1.  My vet says I should worm the pups and Venus now.  Venus was worm free
prior to the breeding and for the past 3 years.  Should I worm this early or
wait a week or two?  What should I use?  The vet gave me Strongcid, or
something like that.  Pups are fat and sassy, no worm indications.

2.  Pups seem to be getting enough to eat from Mom.  Should I start them on
baby food and/or raw meat this week, say at 2 1/2 wks, or wait until they seem
hungry?  What types of baby food do you give?  Cereal?  Meat?  Should I add any
supplements?

3.  Can they hear now?

Thanks so much for the help!

Zoa Rockenstein