[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 198 GSD's

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: windwych@xxxxxxxxx, rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, kathy.m.hall@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:23:49 EDT

dawn -
as someone who has been involved in GSD rescue for 20+ years, THANK YOU for
 putting that so eloquently and to the point.  rescue is difficult and
heartbreaking - if it weren't for someone like you, how many dogs would not be
alive today?  keep doing what you do and, if a "mix" ends up in the pool,
take him for a happy swim along with the others.
diane - whose "GSD ONLY" kennels have held labs, mixes, a pit and a  pyr
Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com

In a message dated 10/8/2009 5:58:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:

As far  as LHSH is concerned, we make EVERY EFFORT to work strictly with
purebred or  BYB GSDs. While some of them may not be attractive (back yard
bred dogs tend  to be less than what we are used to looking at) they are still
GSDs. I will  admit that there has been a VERY few instances where the dog
we assisted   ended up being a high GSD mix (some shelters are expert at
framing pictures to  showcase the dog in a certain light..This is where
volunteers would be greatly  helpful as in the absence of an experienced
volunteer
at the shelter to  give us an expert opinon and  with time being short and
the dogs life at  stake, we have to go by the shelter directors say so and
photos or risk the  dog being destroyed); 99.9% of the time, dogs that LHSH
has covered have been  purebred GSDs. With regards to money donated, unless
the money is specifically  earmarked for a certain dog in need, it goes into
our general pool and is  utilized to help the most needy dog at the
time. In fact, MOST people when  donating have been more than understanding
and will write a short note like  "For Brownie, or whatever dog you think
needs it most". LHSH has also assisted  Rescues with dogs surrendered by
breeders; in some instances absorbing the  cost of altering and vaccinations
without any financial help from the breeder.  While we are happy to help our
own, we are no longer able to extend this  courtesy and now we request  that
all altering/vaccinations/HW  testing  be done by the breeder prior to the
dog being accepted into an  LHSH  approved Rescue. We feel that it is the
breeders responsibility to  make a fair effort at finding a home for a dog that
they could not place on  their own by taking on this expense.
Just a personal aside...I have to say  that I find the term "mutt"
offensive. ALL dogs have value; be it purebred or  mixed. And while we at LHSH
have
chosen to diligently save the lives of our  beloved breed, just take a
moment and look into the eyes of a mixed bred dam  as she is trying to protect
her babies that are being torn from her and  killed...If the picture does not
move you to tears, you might want to question  what you are doing "in dogs"
to begin with.
What makes her less valuable  than our Champions?...it is purely by Grace
that we gifted with them...and a  tragic accident that the mixed bred mother
was brought into a family who did  not care enough about her to have her
altered. JMHO.
The Team From  LHSH
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven  Inc.