[ SHOWGSD-L ] 198 GSD's

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Erynbrook@xxxxxxx>, <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, <kathy.m.hall@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:29:33 -0700

> What we have figured out is that anything with vaguely erect ears
> must be a
> GSD, if it is B&T it must be a GSD. if a GSD wandered across its
> ancestors' path 3 generations ago, it must be a GSD. We started
> requiring a  picture
> of each dog coming in from out of state - even then we couldn't be
> absolutely sure, so we say we'll take it but when the transport
> arrives, it
> becomes obvious that the dog is not a GSD. What are you going to do?
> I worry that black GSDs in shelters are mistaken for labs, since
> most
> people seeing mine ask me what they are even though I have a
> "normal" colored
> GSD right next to them - duh.
> Susan Casey

Reminded me of a call I got years ago from a fellow.

He lost his old GSD - passing over to the bridge, and was in mourning.
His sister, feeling for his loss, found a GSD litter in the paper and
bought him one for his birthday. He was delighted with his sisters
thought, but concerned with the appearance of this GSD. He called to
ask me to evaluate it for him. I explained on the phone that GSD's,
although we do have a standard, sometimes have colors outside of the
standard, but I would take a look.

When he arrived, out of his truck came a close coated, brindle colored
terror of some sort. I was not expecting that. So I affirmed  that he
was right, this was not a GSD. We called the AKC rep who went to the
home and pulled the papers. They did have a fence to protect their in
heat bitch - a three foot chicken wire fence.

Another GSD breeder bites the dust.....

Dave