[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 111 in Vegas today/Swimming

  • From: "Michael Lynch" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 18:43:16 -0700

Hi Ed,

Here, at BlackHawk, we swim our showdogs.  Buck, our Ch.Rohan's Escalade of
Utopia, swims twice a week for 40 mins we swim him in a circle.
 Gypsy, our Jag daughter,  (Kaleef's Georgia Peach Von Martin) swims 3 times
a week at 20 mins against the current.

Susanna was a long range swimmer, meaning she could go for about an hour or
so before she showed any signs of letting down.

I also swim the Waterdog and the wheaten I showed at the Roving nationals.
With the exception of the water dog, (who can (and should) go for hours on
end, the terrier breeds are only done about 10-15 against the current.

Swimming against the current builds muscletone, but be aware that you arent
makeing them bulky across the shoulders too. That is not good. if the dog
shows any signs of fatigue, its best to stop, take a 10 min break and go at
it again.

About the only thing I am a bit fanatical about is coat. Even with the
shepherds, I am sure to rinse all the sand off the dogs and then apply a
good water/conditioner, pin brush and let air dry. I do this to retain
moisture, reduce breakage and to make sure the dogs coat doesnt get that
"crispy swimming coat".

Hope this helps,

Mike Lynch