[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 102nd National or 100th National?

  • From: Janis Calkins <janiscalkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 09:28:00 -0700

There is nothing as valuable as the history available through older
knowledgeable people. We should value them and consult them, not ignore them.
Give them a role where they can contribute valuable history.

I just went digging through some old Reviews my father had when he was on the
GSDC Board of Directors back in the sixties.
I did find a Review from 1961 with an ad saying the upcoming National
Specialty would be the 48th National Specialty in Dallas with Reginald
Cleveland, Lloyd Brackett and Mrs. Maureen Yentzen judging Specials. However, I
don’t know about skipped years or years prior to 1961.

As a child, I adored the excitement of the National Specialty and the
opportunity to learn about and see the top dogs in the country. People would
drive for miles to bring their dogs. I don’t even think airlines were flying
dogs back then. Owners were more willing to invest their time and effort in
showcasing their dogs. Not all the dogs exhibited were top winners in the
breed, but it was a place and time to go and meet the ‘best of the best’ and to
find and explore new bloodlines and meet other breeders/ owners from across the
country….perhaps to even purchase a new puppy. You did not have to be ‘one of
the elite’ to be accepted and to join in the excitement. The years have changed
the atmosphere of the National in some ways. When you look around the venue
this year ask yourself how many new, young faces you see excited to come watch
our National. IF you see someone new, reach out to them and take the time to
find out why they are there and share a bit of that old-time knowledge. We have
become the same group of people attending over and over with cliques among
ourselves. It is time to try to broaden the interest and enthusiasm for this
great show.

I miss the past and the enthusiasm and positiveness that exuded our great
breed. There have been and are so many knowledgeable people that are ignored
and not given a voice. Serving in any club and for a club is not a ‘contest’ of
who is the best in the breed, but is for someone who is willing to open their
eyes and ears to others, not prejudging their experience and knowledge, but one
willing to facilitate what is truly best for our breed for the future.

We have shut too many people out in one way or another. People lose interest
when ignored.

Janis Calkins
On Sep 7, 2015, at 8:28 AM, Nancy Harper Mulvaney
<nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dorothy Linn TRIED to Nominate Tom Brown for the position of “Chair” of
the newly formed ‘GSDCA HISTORICAL COMMITTEE’
for contact purposes. As far as we can tell none were contacted – we
recently lost “Helen Miller Fisher, and Marian Lawrence. Hoping
our Historical Chair will develop a Committee & contact distinguished,
knowledgeable members before the opportunity passes.
Teddy Beckhardt would be one of the remaining “long timers” and also Ralph
Roberts among others.

Nancy Harper-Mulvaney