[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: . . .my view: We are ONE

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 05:50:16 -0800 (PST)

I agree Penny...I am not sure where John is coming from.  Specialties are
great, but, face it, it is a very small world and getting smaller by the year!
You are right, it does promote the breed when we can show well trained,
conditioned and lovely represenatives of the breed at all breed shows.  Do all
breed judges sometimes make mistakes?  Sure, but for the most part they do a
pretty good job of picking sound dogs, and, the more we show to them and
educate them the better they will do.  I have had the fortune of showing and
owning multiple breeds and find that there is a wealth of knowledge to be had
spending time at all breed shows.  Shepherdists can be so insulated if they
only hang out at specialties or leave the all breed show at 9:30 in the
morning.  Real fanciers put the time in to study other breeds, watch the
judging and learn about structure...even if it is not a GSD.
People will maybe not agree with me and that is their right, but I think that
the time I have spent watching and learning about other breeds has made me a
better dog person.  Cynthia