[Shadowdancer] "Getting a Talking To"

  • From: Isabella Valentine <wistful_fancy_noir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shadowdancer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

Getting a Talking To
Micah K'neer and Jawi Pax

Lungs burning, Micah made his rounds checking in on each group or team working
on Si's rescue.  He knew better, in effect, and should've taken some time to
rest.  In fact, he thought with a smirk, it's only a matter of time before Jawi
catches up with me.  He was expecting a 'talking to'.  He wasn't so sure why
the beautiful woman reminded him of his mother, but it wasn't an unwelcome
thought.

Coughing again, he sat down in his chair and layed his head in his upturned
palms.  Suddenly, he wished he had waited in sickbay.  Especially when the
office chime rang and he looked up to find Jawi Pax standing in the doorway
wearing that no-nonsense look that let him know he was in trouble.  With a
capital 'T'.

"Micah K'Neer, you are supposed to be setting a good example for the others.
You can't very well help with Sianar's rescue if you fall over flat on your
face," Jawi said mildly.  She actually fairly angry but it did no good to truly
lash out at sick people.  "Couldn't you have just asked if you could leave?"

Giving the most pitiful look he could muster, which wasn't hard, considering he
could barely catch his breath, he replied, "I was afraid you'd say no."

Jawi shook her head and held up her portable med kit.  "For shame.  You know
how many times I've treated walking people who ought to have been lying down?"
she asked.  "When you're getting shot at, you need all the clear heads in the
quadrant but clear head does nothing without a strong body to walk it around.
I might have tried different meds.  So, are you ready for those?"

He weakly nodded his head yes.  "You're beautiful when you're angry. Or
irritated.  Hell, lady, you're beautiful all the time," he winked and scooted
back from the desk to allow her full access.

Jawi snorted in amusement as she laid the small bag open on the desk.  A hypo
for  greater oxygenation and something to help with pulmonary elasticity,
something that wouldn't overtax the tissue itself.

"Flattery might have gotten you somewhere a while ago but not now.  It's a good
thing Rissa's not the jealous type," she said as she pressed first one hypo
into his neck and then the other.  "This might make you feel a bit light headed
at first but it'll do the job."

"Can't be any worse off than I am now," he coughed lightly.  "And I mean it,
lady.  You really are a beautiful woman.  Rissa's a lucky guy.  But don't
worry.  My heart belongs to another."  This time he smiled fondly and took a
deeper breath.  "That's much easier to do, thank you."

Jawi smiled at him then, her irritation definitely lessening as the color came
back into his face.  "Thank you, Micah, that's awfully sweet of you.  Just see
to it that you take care of that other, hmmm?  I'd hate to have to patch you up
because she or somebody else beats your head in."

"Don't worry.  It took me long enough to really see her for who she is and I
don't plan on letting her go.  We're gonna do things right this time.  Speaking
of which," he took another deep breath, quite releived to be doing so, "how is
Isabella doing on her medications?  I've noticed an improvement, but I still
think she's prone to some mood swings.  Is that normal?  Will they ever
completely go away?"

"Micah, I can't discuss another patient's details with you.  That's unethical
but if you have something that I need to know, or even think I need to know,
tell me," Jawi said as she sat on the corner of the desk.

"I wasn't trying to cross ethics.  I only wanted to know because of how I feel
about her.  I've been doing the best I can to take care of her, but I'm still
not sure I do everything right."  He sighed.  "She has nightmares.  And I
think... I'm not certain, but I think she may hallucinate from time to time
because I catch her saying off the wall stuff, like she thinks I'm someone
else.  And then she's fine.  Like she doesn't even remember doing it."  He ran
a hand through his hair.  "Or it's just my imagination.  I don't know."

Jawi's mouth thinned.  Obviously, the medication needed to be tinkered with
again or Bella wasn't taking it.  Either way, the symptoms were the same.  "No,
I know you aren't trying to pry but...well, you two aren't official, if you
understand what I mean, so I can't tell you anything outright.  Not unless she
tells me I can."

She stood up and patted Micah on the shoulder.  "But you did the right thing.
Any time you notice anything 'off' let me know."

"I will.  And Jawi?  Thanks.  You're the best."

"I can only try," she said simply.  "And you should try to set a better example
for the others.  As I said before, people keeling over while trying to rescue
one of our own is not helpful.  And do make sure you get Sianar back in one
piece.  Rissa is very fond of her."

"It's the most crucial agenda we have, I promise you."  He levelled a serious
gaze at her.  Then to lighten the mood, he smiled, "And I'll do my best to be a
rakishly handsome example for the crew."

Jawi just shook her head as she smiled and walked out the door.

Yahoo! Sports