[SEYSA] One Last Time

  • From: "Sir Edward Youde Scholars Association" <mailbox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seysa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 03:40:37 +0800

This is a message from Sir Edward Youde Scholars Association.

Dear Youders and friends,

I am writing to you, one last time, as the Chairman of the Association. I
specially asked the IT Team to distribute this letter after midnight. So
when you read this letter, I should be addressed as the Immediate Past
Chairman.

Moments before, I was enjoying a brief quiet time alone. Memories of my
involvements in the Association flashed past my head. It all began with the
20th Anniversary Dinner where I reconnected with other Youders and decided
to make a difference by being a member of the Executive Committee in the
following year. But then, my SEYSA story did not start four years ago. It
actually started twenty-four years ago when the Memorial Fund was
established. Our relationships exists only because of the existence of Fund
and for that, I am truly thankful.

On this New Year's Eve or, when you are reading this letter, the New Year's
Day, I would like to share a story with you. It is a famous story and I
believe many of you knew it. But, nevertheless, it occupies a special place
in my heart and I would like to share this with you personally. The original
story was written by Loren Eiseley in his book The Star Thrower. Many have
then adapted the story replacing the original characters with new ones and I
particularly like the following adapted version.

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his
writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw
a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of
someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and
that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching
down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the
ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that
you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the
ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the
somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If
I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not
realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all
along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw
it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for
that one."

I do not know how others would look at these few years of SEYSA but I
believe I have made a difference, I have left my mark. As we are preparing
for the 25th Anniversary of the Memorial Fund, may I take this opportunity
to ask you to also be a star thrower. Our SEYSA stories all started
twenty-four years ago and your SEYSA story can too make a difference. Such
differences will begin with our Association, then to our community, to our
society, to our motherland, and to our world, our universe and beyond.

With the arrival of the New Year, may I wish you a joyous and prosperous
year. And may I ask you to join me to wish the new Executive Board a
fruitful year to come.

Sincerely yours,

Michael CHAN

Chairman