[SeniorTech] Re: Holiday Gift Cards (Not so fast)

  • From: "Jerry Taylor" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:25:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----

Someone sent us this "warning".......

Subject: [SeniorTech] Fw: Holiday Gift Cards

> I wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you tend to give gift

> cards around the holidays, you need to be careful that the cards will

> be honored after the holidays. Stores that are planning to close after

> Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though

> the cards will be worthless January 1. There is no law preventing them

> from doing this. On the contrary, it is referred to as bankruptcy

> Planning. Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be

> cautious about.

I know some of these are true. I can't say all are checked, but you can

look on  <outbind://57/www.snopes.com> www.snopes.com to check BEFORE
you buy a gift card.

=================================

Of course, it can prove rather difficult for consumers to reclaim the
value of gift cards and gift certificates issued by retailers who have
since gone out of business, an issue addressed by the above-quoted
warning urging readers to use as soon as possible gift cards issued by
several chains identified as recently having filed for bankruptcy
(because such cards "will not be valid for much longer"). Although the
warning isn't necessarily bad advice, the message also promotes some
misconceptions.

Before you go overboard, get the WHOLE story HERE:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/bankruptcies.asp

Jerry Taylor
SeniorTech
http://www.seniortech.us <http://www.seniortech.us/>
Personalized In-Home Computer Instruction
     for Senior Citizens and Retirees
585-964-3319
"Computers are not just for kids"

GIF image