[sendcard] March newsletter.

  • From: Sendcard <sendcard@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sendcard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:36:16 +0000

Greetings!

If anyone has any tips on styling text-based emails then I'd really like to
hear them as this message looks a mess - it's the only time ever that I've
wished to use HTML email :-)

First-up, work started on sendcard 4 a couple of weeks ago - and stopped
yesterday when I realised it would be easier to rewrite everything from
scratch!  I am now planning to merge what work I had done (such as the
integration of sendcard into phpWebSite) back into sendcard 3 and then
release this as version 3.1.

Version 4 is going to see a lot of changes, and will probably be built
using PEAR and Smarty templates, with a web-based front-end to the cards -
allowing you to upload images from your browser and create cards that
way.  It is with great sadness that I have decided that from sendcard 4
onwards, some of the non-essential features will become paid-for
addons.  This was not an easy decision to take, but due to the level of
people tipping me for the use of sendcard I felt I had no choice.  Rest
assured that the core of sendcard, offering the same features as sendcard 3
and more will stay free - only extras such as the address book will cost money.

sendcard now has a domain name: http://www.sendcard.org.  The site isn't
hosted under this domain yet, but there is a redirect in place so you can
start to use it.

+++ Can you help? +++
What I'd love to have is a Dreamweaver extension that allows people to
easily insert the code for new cards in index.php into their
document.  Unfortunately my knowledge of javascript is non-existent, so I
don't have the skills.  Is there anyone on the list who is willing to write
an extension to do this?

I believe that Adobe Golive can also be extended in this way, but because I
own Dreamweaver my tastes are biased :-)

+++ Featured sendcard site of the newsletter +++
I was going to say featured site of the month, but then realised that I'd
be tied into sending this newsletter out once a month!

The site I've picked is http://www.yvonnes.net/.  It has a good selection
of cards, and the way the form in sendcard has been customised is
outstanding - it looks far better than the original distributed with
sendcard (expect to see changes for the next release...).  Definitely a
sendcard installation to look at when you can't think how to make your
sendcard look different.

If you would like your site featured in the newsletter or on the sendcard
site, then please contact me.  Your site should have some outstanding
feature (such as a well-customised version of sendcard) but I'll consider
all nominations I receive.  Of course, if you want to advertise your site
and are willing to pay then you're on :-)

Never forget that if you want to contribute code/documentation to the
project then you only have to ask.. and if you want to tip me for my work
on sendcard you don't even have to ask ;-) just go to
<http://sendcard.resource-locator.com/moral.php> and follow the instructions.

Finally, don't forget that there's the address book add-on for sendcard
available at <http://www.mapledesign.co.uk/products/addressbook> and you
can get a sendcard T-shirt from cafe-press.com - see
<http://cafepress.com/sendcard> for more details.

Now back to enjoying my two weeks of holiday...
Happy Easter everyone!
Peter.

---oOo---
sendcard - The free PHP e-card solution