[seadog] Tug Observer Question

  • From: "Tom Blanchard" <tomblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SEADOG" <seadog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:35:27 -0500

Hey SEADOGS,
I'm looking for some comments. Please share your thoughts back to the
SEADOG@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or to me directly at tomblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Question:
Would it be worth while for all seagoing senior deck officers to spend a day
on a tugboat every year or two?

Points to Ponder:
You could meet the requirement by leaving to join a ship a day early.
The experience would be varied, based on the boat you are able to join and
the work they are assigned while you are aboard.
Is there a need to better understand the capabilities of tugs?
Would this be a valid way to learn some of those capabilities.
As an observer, you could see and talk to the tug crews. Is there value in
having this type of relationship with the boats we use frequently?
Value added to Bridge Team???...individual skills??
Cost vs. Benefit??

Have a great holiday season.
Be Safe,
Tom Blanchard