Cooking Merit Badge - Update #3

  • From: "Bates, Hal" <HBates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:41:38 -0500

Sounds like several of you were treated to some very nice meals from our
scouts this past week. The cooking merit badge is not an Eagle required
badge, but we feel strongly that our boys need to learn the life skill
of planning, budgeting and preparing meals for themselves and others.

Homework for next Tuesday:

1.       Complete requirements 3,  5c & d , this is measuring weight
(some good educated guessing may be necessary) and selecting food
utensils for the meal.

2.       Complete requirements 7 (Meal Planning) & 8 on cooking career
opportunities.

We will discuss these requirements and plan our meals for our upcoming
camping trip. We will be cooking by patrols where the boys plan their
menus and divide up who brings the food for the trip. The boys will be
responsible for purchasing the food and preparing breakfast, lunch and
dinner for Saturday, the leaders will prepare breakfast on Sunday.

We will be completing all the requirements required to complete the
badge on our camping trip. If a scout is unable to camp with us, he will
also have the opportunity to complete the cooking requirements on the
next two trips.

Link to Cooking MB book -
http://cid-78f2ca079eeb0929.office.live.com/self.aspx/MB%20Pamphlets/Coo
king.pdf

Should you have any questions, please let me know.

Hal Bates
Scoutmaster - Troop 17
http://www.ScoutTroop17.org <http://www.scouttroop17.org/>
2204 Teal Court