[sbinews] State Bank floats a mobile ATM (www.newkerala.com)

  • From: "Rajendra S. Pai" <rajendra.pai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sbinews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:53:57 +0530

State Bank floats a mobile ATM

Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 30 (IANS) :

The State Bank of India (SBI) appears to have beaten all others in the race for
innovation by launching trials of a mobile ATM - on a ferry service from
Ernakulam to Vypeen Island in Kerala.

"We have started trial runs. It has been three days since the ATM was installed
on the ferry service of the Kerala Inland Navigation and Shipping Service of
the state government," said SBI's assistant general manager M.P. Azad Tuesday.
There were 11 transactions on the first day Sunday.
The bank is planning an extravagant opening of their latest service, the first
in the country, Azad said proudly.

Chief Minister A.K. Antony and the SBI chairman are expected to officially
launch it some time early January, he added.
The ferry carries vehicles and passengers going to and from Ernakulam to
water-locked Vypeen. About 25,000 people are transported back and forth in a
day. Each trip takes approximately 40 minutes.

A bank official said the SBI's long-term plan is to have a permanent set-up
because the ferry service would stop once the bridge connecting Vypeen Island
to Ernakulam is complete.

The ATM would then move around the backwaters of the area.
"Today we are using the wireless on local loop (WLL) technology. Only after our
trial runs are over would we be able to fine tune the functioning of our
floating ATM," a SBI official said.
Email From ""Rajendra S. Pai" <rajendra.pai@xxxxxxxxx>" was security checked by
3.90  version of CxProtect(tm)
On: mail_store at: 12:00:30, 31-Dec-2003 Wednesday
Engine: 4.110.21, sign.def:29-Dec-2003, sign2.def:29-Dec-2003,
Detailed Virus Scanning Report is attached as "CxPReport on 31Dec03 at