[SAS] Re: awesome star party last night

  • From: Zach Drew <zachula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:12:16 -0700

Last night was my first time at fishtrap and I was quite pleased with
the conditions.

I had my 12" lightbridge out there and had the dubious honor of being
the evenings "light bucket".

Gibbous Venus was brilliant, Jupiter and the transit of Io's shadow
was a highlight as were the multiple ISS passes.

I played how many galaxies can you get in a single field with M81 and
M82 and then the Leo Triplet. M82 was even showing some dust.

M13 and M92 were both excellent in hercules as well as I finally
tracked down NGC 6210, an elusive planetary nebula in Hercules that I
have been trying to locate off and on over the years.

Quite a bit of outreach, lots of oohs and ahhs. Was a beautiful night
until about 2300 when the wind started to kick up a little. Didnt
stick around to bag my final messier, M107, but I have plenty of time.

Kicking myself this morning for not looking at the Sombrero.

Looking forward to next month.

-Zach

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Mary Singer <hari@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, Great sky! Don't forget M's 51, 81, 82, 101, etc. in various scopes.
I did the "eye test" on a couple of the young people with Alcor & Mizar. One
of them said she could make out the two Cindy's pumpkin bread was great
too! Mary S.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 19, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2 dobs, 1 refractor, 2 SCTs and 2 sets of binoculars! 10 - 15 people at
least, possibly more. I managed to knock out the Virgo cluster for my
Messier list. Lots of outreach too as Bryan brought some friends from work.
Highlights: M13 at high power, M42 in an OIII, multiple ISS passes, Io's
shadow on Jupiter, and Markarian's Chain my 8 inch. Good stuff.
More details and pics a little later.
Nick

--
Zach Drew