[SAS] Snowden outreach report

  • From: Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAS <sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:56:56 -0700

Hey all,

SAS had a great outreach event at Snowdon Elementary "Art Through Science
Night"! I was a bit worried about turnout but needn't have been. Both Alan
and Richard showed up and were a great help.

I was able to setup my 80mm short tube refractor outside (with solar
filter). Richard and Alan helped the kids observe sunspots and the solar
disk while I stayed inside and handed out our materials and answered
questions. There was a lot of interest...I wouldn't be surprised to see a
few new faces at the next meeting.

After the sun sank behind the the building, Alan set up an indoor
observation of Jupiter...by taping a picture of Jove to the wall and
pointing the scope at it :) It turned out to be quite popular.

Great event, great time. Two more outreach events this month - one next
week at SFCC and then the on the 29th and Longfellow. Maybe I'll see you
there?

Here are a few pics of dubious quality...next time I'll bring a real camera.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeXihx6yaXCNVcyUlNCVTFrMVE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeXihx6yaXCZkNFbk5XRVRIOUk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeXihx6yaXCdWhCWVN3VkxYRHc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks (and see you at Fishtrap!),