[SAS] Re: April 2015 Asterisk The Newsletter of the SAS

  • From: Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAS <sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 14:46:01 -0700

Finally got around to reading this. Great job, Jenny!

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Debbie Cotten <dcotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Well there was a few people that tried the Messier Marathon, but I
understand it clouded up about 11. The Spokane Sea Cadet's event turned out
to be mostly cloudy, but they did view Venus, Jupiter, and I am not sure if
Paul showed them anything else. The Mobius event at Franklin park was
fantastic, 200 people and I think I counted 10 telescopes.

It was a wonderful event. We had first quarter moon, Jupiter Venus and the
skies were clear until the event was over at 9pm. Mobius had snacks and
tables setup for the kids to get there own home made star finder.

If you are interested in some early star party opportunity Oregon Parks
department has invited any astronomer with a telescope to the Prineville
Reservoir State Park on the weekend of May 16th. If you setup your
telescope and share you get a free pass to camp.

I will have a copy of the letter at the meeting for anyone interested in
this.

Meeting on Friday We will be having a Swap meet after the break if you
have telescope items or astronomy items you would like to sell bring it
setup at 6pm, we will start the meeting at 7:30. At this time I do not know
if we have a speaker.

The club will be bringing telescopes from our inventory to sell, we will
accept cash or checks. I know we have a couple of wedges and a 5 inch
telescope.

I also need a volunteer for School Science fairs this month Jerry Eber
has left for the West side of the State.

Please let me know as soon as you can, we have two science fairs this
month. I will give you all the stuff to setup and if it is clear on those
nights we can have a telescope outside if I get enough volunteers.

Upcoming Speaker for August 7th We will have Shane L. Larson
Research Associate Professor
CIERA/Northwestern University
Astronomer, Adler Planetarium
I am not sure what the topic will be but we have a couple of months.

Enjoy the Newsletter, Jenny has done a great job.

Debbie Cotten
Outreach, Event Coordinator &
Secretary of
The Spokane Astronomical Society