[sarcmembers] SARC Status report

  • From: David Dowler <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:54:00 -0800

All

For some reason the cosmic forces removed some of my pictures from the last email. I'll try it one more time.

Dave

Dear SARC Members

 Since we are not having a meeting next Saturday, I thought it would be good to provide an update on some of the ongoing projects. The projects include the following:

1)      Remote Base

2)      Operating Station Shelving

3)      Log Periodic Antenna

Remote Base

As most of you know, I have been implementing some internet based ham radio functions like Echolink and Winlink. A few months back, I was at a meeting with John Portune, W6NBC, and he mentioned an interest in a remote base. I share this interest, and since we had both done limited remote base implementations in the past, we had a good starting point.

Over the last few months, we have slowly put the station together at the Site 1 building on Firefighter Road. There are pictures below. The biggest time impediment was the need of the folks supplying our internet connection to type in some proper numbers in a computer. After that hurdle, things really moved.

We started with radio equipment provided by John, W6NBC, and a dual band 2M/70cm antenna donated by Eric WB6FLY. I put up the VHF/UHF antenna with the help of Bill, KI6LXV. On that same day, we hauled almost half a ton of junk out of the site 1 building.  About 2 weeks ago, the typing by Lompoc Unified School District was complete and we were using the remote base on 2M/70 cm that night. John had been working on a trap dipole for 40M/80M. This past Saturday, John, Bob (W6RFH) and myself (KA6BFB) erected it.

From right to left. W6RFH supervising me (KA6BFB) on top of the platform. The picture on the right shows the feed point/balun.

                       Site 1 Antenna Farm

      Remote Base Radio. TS-2000, computer, interface connections, power supply.

This is the actual image that the user sees when they operate the remote base thru the internet. All of the necessary controls are easily accessible.

This is only the beginning of the remote base project. A Cushcraft R6000 has been purchased, which will give 20,17,15,12,10,and 6-meter coverage. We are also going to add 160M operation to the dipole. The remote control software allows for selection of different antennas, as well as pointing of a beam and control of an Alpha amplifier. Hopefully in the future, we can get some help from the club and some members for adding new features.

 The Project is in the testing phase right now, but it is working well. There was some locally generated noise in the building, mostly the outside light. Once that was turned off, the operation has been very nice. When the testing phase is complete, this will be open to all club members.

Operating Station Shelving

The construction of the operating position shelving in progressing, as can be seen in the picture below. This is one half of the shelving. It is going to be nice and provide us with the three separate operating positions we have discussed in the meetings. We are hoping for this to be completed in time for the February meeting, but there are no promises.

Shown here is one half of the eventual operating position shelving. Obviously a work in progress.

Log Periodic Antenna

W6RFH has finished the base for the antenna. Today he attached the rotor cable at the antenna, and we ran the cable into the shack. I temporarily wired up the rotor and we watch the antenna turn. Now we need to run the coax and put the proper fittings on both ends. Hopefully this will happen before the shelving is finished.