[sarcmembers] Re: SARC HF station use etc

  • From: george bernard <gbernard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john maetta <sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:53:02 -0700

well , dave , you pissed off harold scott, now you pissed of ME.  george

santa barbara, ca web page is www.balanceindustries.com for my company cell
818-370-9407

From: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sarcmembers] Re: SARC HF station use etc
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:51:05 -0700

George

Get some capital letters.

Dave

From: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:47:45 -0700

I am not turning it over. Access to it is as it has always been. If somebody
wanted to use it in the past, they could have used it and blown it up as easily
as they could now. The only difference now is that we have removed the added
extra complication of moving the cables around. I have not changed any policy
that the club has whatsoever. People should not operate things they don’t
understand. I have just made it easier for people to operate in the easy mode
(and easier to understand).  In the past, people were intimidated from using
the radio at all because there were no instructions on how to do so. I really
think you should read what I said again.  In the easy mode, they can’t blow
anything up. The tuner takes care of everything, and if the tuner can not
achieve a good match, the radio folds back if there is a bad mismatch and
protects the final amp.

I would also prefer if you would stop referring to donated items as if they are
still yours. I don’t care how much you paid for them, they are now club
property and nobody wants to have them destroyed. You don’t have a monopoly on
concern for the items.

Dave  KA6BFB

From: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sarcmembers] SARC HF station use etc
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 10:00:51 -0700

All

We finally have a nice shelving system to accommodate are ham shack at the
club. Thanks to Bob for the fine craftsmanship. It looks and functions
terrific. Assembling the station to its final configuration will take time and
money, but one of the HF operating positions is available now for general use.
It will accommodate simple use with the auto tuner, or complex high power
operation without moving cables around.

Here is the FT-840 station. A paper copy of the manual is available for
reference at the operating position.

All that is necessary to operate the station in the “simple mode” is to turn on
the tuner mode on the radio, and ensure that the amplifier is off and the tuner
is in the “coax 1 direct” mode, as shown in the terrible cell phone pictures
below.

Amplifier is off. The PWR and OPR buttons are pushed in on the lower part to
OFF and STBY respectively. This effectively bypasses the amplifier.

Tuner mode is “Coax 1 direct” so that the tuner is bypassed.

That’s it. The radio is now ready for tune and play operation with the auto
tuner turned on. Here is the section from the manual on how to operate the tuner

For the time being, the B&W folded dipole is connected to the station. It is
the best all around performer. If you want to change it, you can connect a
different cable to the tuner where the current one is. For those of you that
want to operate the amplifier, be advised it has a parasitic oscillation issue
that you need to be on top of. I am going to order a cheap kit to solve this
issue. If you want pointers on how to use the amp, just ask me.

In the long term, we plan to have an antenna switching system that will allow
both stations to operate all of the antenna with a simple selector mechanism. I
will probably send out an email later describing that effort.

On another note. All three computers in the shack are now operational, and the
printer is also working for both of them. Thanks to all that donated monitors
and keyboards.

73  Dave KA6BFB