[sarcmembers] Re: JOTA and the ARRL EME Contest

  • From: Hugh Rafferty <hugh.rafferty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: n6vmo@xxxxxxxxx, sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:18:23 -0500 (CDT)

I think John has a great idea here.  Let's work to get this in place.

Hugh

=====================
From: n6vmo@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 2008/08/05 Tue PM 04:48:36 CDT
To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [sarcmembers] JOTA and the ARRL EME Contest

 Hello All, After looking at the ARRL schedules, it occurred to me that this
year's Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) and the second leg on the ARRL EME Contest
fall on the same weekend.Among the other planned JOTA activities it would be an
excellent opportunity to demo a communication method most Boy Scouts have not
experienced.  The ARRL EME Contest period starts on Saturday Oct. 18 at
0000UTC (Friday 1700PDT) and ends on Sunday Oct. at 2359UTC (Sunday 1659PDT).
The moon rises on Friday evening at 2026PDT and on Saturday evening at
2128PDT. The EME activity should be very high and many contacts would keep the
scouts and visitors interested. With the small W6AB EME station(s), once the
moon rises above ~35degs and until it sets below ~35degs in elevation, it loses
the gain provided by the earth and contacts become very difficult. So, planned
EME operations would only be for ~3 hours at moonrise and before moonset. That
leaves plenty of time for other planned JOTA activities.  Even pre-moonrise
activities/education could involve: - the scouts determining the direction the
moon will rise and determine its elevation during the contest (if the moon is
obscured from view) using a compass or other method. - calculate the time it
takes a radio wave to leave earth and return via moon bounce.- locate contacts
on a world map or globe and determine the 'great circle path' and distance.-
demonstrate the method and software used to confirm radio contacts using very
weak signal techniques.- etc. I would like to support the SARC JOTA activities
by arriving at the clubhouse on Friday evening at 1700 to help setup the
terrestrial and EME station(s) and assist other JOTA activities until the moon
rises. Once W6AB EME ops are teminated, I may spend the night in the RV or go
home and return to the clubhouse the following afternoon. Let me know what you
think and we can discuss this anytime and at the next SARC meeting on Sept
6th. 73 JohnN6VMO  Below is moon data for the JOTA and ARRL EME Contest
weekend. Friday
        17 October 2008       Pacific Daylight Time

                         MOON
        Moonrise                   8:26 p.m.
        Moonset                   11:48 a.m. on following day Phase of the Moon
on 17 October:   waning gibbous with 88% of the Moon's visible disk
illuminated.
Saturday
        18 October 2008       Pacific Daylight Time

                         MOON
        Moonrise                   9:28 p.m.
        Moonset                   12:49 p.m. on following day Phase of the Moon
on 18 October:   waning gibbous with 79% of the Moon's visible disk
illuminated.   _______________________________________________You have received
this because you are subscribed tothe Satellite Amateur Radio Club Members
Mailing ListTo post on the mailing list, simply send email to
sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  This mailing list willonly accept email from
subscribed members so SPAMMERSwill not get your email addressTo unsubscribe,
send an email to sarcmembers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

only accept email from subscribed members so SPAMMERS
will not get your email address

'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi