[sarcmembers] Hardline needed...

  • From: "John Maetta" <j.maetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:02:47 -0700

Hello,

Tonight, after some testing of my 1296MHz EME system, I noted the following.
The 280W output of the amplifier was reduced to 160W by the time it reached the
antenna feed.

I am currently using an 80' run of Andrew LD4-50 1/2" hardline from the amp to
the antenna feed.  This length of HL keeps my operating position and equipment
inside the clubhouse radio room.
But, this 2dB transmit power loss is not tolerable and of course effects my
receive signals too.

One solution is to move the amplifier and transceiver closer to the antenna.
This solution will work, but will cause me to have to operate out of doors.

The second is to locate the dish closer to the indoor operating position.  (On
the clubhouse roof affords the best tracking of the moon from horizon to
horizon and cuts the coax run by half. But requires approval of the
board/members)

The third solution is to upgrade to a less lossy hardline such as 7/8" or
larger. This is the easiest solution if I can locate a local source.

Does anyone know where I can locate a source for new or used hardline in this
size and length?  I know cellular and CATV companies may have some short
lengths laying around unusable.
Most amateurs, that have this type hardline available, are offering it as pick
up only, because of its size. So this is why I putting out local notice first.

Thanks,

73

John