[sarcmembers] Re: Comments on the February SARC Meeting...

  • From: David Dowler <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:06:14 -0800

According to the ARS website, the ARS circuitry can be easily adapted to all rotators. There is a list on the website of specifically tried rotators. Here is the list:

Antenna Rotator System - RCI Boards

The RCI board has been tested with many commercial rotators. It has been designed as a Universal Rotor Interface and can be adapted to all existing rotors. In the manual, step by step installation instructions will help you setup the most common rotors models. This is possible through the use of variable resistors (trimmers) that allow you to set the optimum calibration.

Some of the most popular rotors verified to work with ARS include:

Compatible Rotators:

  • Yaesu: G250, G400S, G450A, G500 & G500A (Ele), G650A, G800S, C, SDX & DXA, G1000S,C, SDX, DXA & DXC, G2000S & RC, G2800DXA, G5400, G5500, G5600, etc.
  • Telex/Hy-Gain: HAM-IV, HAM-M, HAM-2, T2X, HDR-300
  • Kenpro: KR-400RC, KR450XL, KR-500(Elevation), KR-600RC, KR.650XL, KR-600RC, KR600S, KR-800, KR-1000, KR-5400 & 5600 (Az&El)
  • Daiwa: DR-7500 serie R and X, DR-7600 serie R and X
  • ORION: 2300, ...
  • CREATIVE: RC5x-3P, RC5-1, RC5-x series, ERC-51
  • EMOTATOR: 1105, EV700X
  • EMOTO: 1200 FXX
  • Aliance: HD73
  • Pro.Sis.Tel: All "B" Control Unit models and "D" (**)

Note: PST "D" Units doesn't use the RS232 interface available at this model, so the RCI-SE must be used.

If you have any other rotor not mentioned above, send me a message containing its schematic diagram and I'll answer whether it's possible to adapt ARS to it. There is a high likelihood that it will be supported with no or minor modifications.

Dave KA6BFB

jportune@xxxxxxx wrote:
The ARS rotator control is capable of controlling late-model rotators that use 10bit data. This has become the standard for rotators since some time last year. To use another brand or older model, someone would have to contstruct an interface. There are those in the clubs with such skills. Harold EAT or Dave BFB, for example. If your Ham-IV has such an interface it would indeed by overkill but an easy solution..

And of course we still would need the $500 1.2GHz module for the Kenwood 2000 and the PC card that implements the ARSwin software. I do not know its price. The expense of the card, though, would be spread out over the whole IRB project, not just 1.2.

I think it would be a worthy additon to the IRB, it is just not within my current personal purview as leader of the project, though I would be most pleased if others would spearhead it.