[sanesecurity] Re: winnow additions

  • From: TR Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:11:51 -0500

On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:12 AM, Grayhat wrote:

>> Just to let you know. winnow will be adding skull's bofhland
>> signatures to the winnow distribution.
>
> Cool !! So at end Emanuele did it :) !

Yes, he did and we are adding more feeds. Presently we have a small overlap
(because there are TONS on cracked sites now.  We are working to better
categorized and higher detection rate.

>> bofhland_cracked_URL.ndb,  bofhland_malware_URL.ndb and
>> bofhland_phishing_URL.ndb will be added to winnow_malware_links.ndb
>> and winnow_phish_complete.ndb and winnow_phish_complete_url.ndb.
>
> A question; are the complete sigs fully added to the winnow DBs or are
> you performing some kind of "filtering" on them ? Just curious; as a
> note I've been testing those sigs (and I think Steve did the same) for
> a while by directly fetching them from the bofhland page :D

 I just decided that Emanuele and I had such good results using his and mine
that I would do something for get it out there.  Looks like we found traction
;-)  I have been talking to Steve and I hope he will be adding directly
instead. As Steve said its cleaner.

Tom