[sac-forum] Re: Weather Data

  • From: Steve Palmer <sapalmer_98@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 01:36:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi Richard,

  Actually, I do recall while I was still serving in one of my many career
fields during my 20yrs of service in the USAF.  That when, I was still working
in the PMEL (Precision Meas. Equip. Lab) Calibration lab.  We had online & some
manual access to many of these ref. doc's & much, much more as was required /
needed for calibration on many of the land & aircraft based test equipment &
Lab facilitys enviornmental histograms.  I do believe most of the archive files
were stored in Ohio (Wright-Patterson & another smaller PMEL only facility
outside of Columbus, OH).  Can't recall the actual name of the facility though
(Sorry), but it was used only for calibration technician's access, mainly for
all the PMEL facility's worldwide.  But as I recall, all of those sites were
*.af.mil secured accessible only.  Do not believe any of those databases were
ever civilian accessible (or for any civilians outside of DoD).  However, some
of the Norad / NASA related sites may still have some
 of those related links available for FOIA.

  I will fwd your email request to some of my buddy's still in the service and
see what they can locate (sites/data that are still civilian releaseable)?  If
they can find a civilian access point I will let you know.  Although, I highly
doubt it at this point in time, especially during war time (as everything is
now locked down pretty tight).  Even while I was still on duty status and
during my initial disability status @ home (prior to discharge), I had dial-in
access to maintain my accounts, email and keep many of my training doc's, skill
level statuses up to date.  But, prior to the launch of the war, they pulled
mine & everyboby else's dial-in access away once the war started up & locked
everything down tight.  Access has been very tight ever since.  But, guess it's
still worth a try anyways to ask around & check it out, (don't ya think?)...
I'll also try and look through my old training records, calibration doc's /
files at home for any other clues of other reference
 info or locations, for other optional data location points / cd's etc.  Info
that could be civilian accessed.

  Anyways, Sorry, guess I wasn't much more help than what you started with?
Well take care of yourself anyways..  Chat with ya soon if & when I find
anything out.

  Sincerely,
  Steve Palmer

Richard Harshaw <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
                I don?t know why I did not think of this earlier, but in an
earlier life, I designed air conditioning systems for commercial projects.  One
of the key factors to consider for a commercial building?s ?load? is the solar
heat gained by the structure.  To calculate this, ASHRAE (the American Society
of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers) used data from the U.
S. Air Force.  The USAF, it turns out, keeps excellent logs of weather data for
a number of major points in the US, and records, among other things, cloud
cover (as a percent of the sky) every three hours (both day and night).  These
files are archived somewhere (that?s where ASHRAE obtained them), and I think
they might make good references for estimating sky cover at various points
around the southwest.

  Trouble is, I can?t remember where that data was stored.   I know it is
stored on-line (I quickly browsed the Air Force Weather Agency?s web page, but
did not find links to it), but don?t recall where.  If anyone in this group
knows what I am talking about or knows the link to the USAF data, please let me
know.

  Richard Harshaw
  Cave Creek, AZ

  "If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of
an expert saying it can't be done."
                -- Peter Ustinov