[sac-forum] Re: For brave observers

  • From: Chuck Akers <akersc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:28:08 -0700 (PDT)

Debbie,
I met some folks from Hawaii a few years ago at the Grand Canyon Star
Party. They build some portable dob scopes. http://www.liteboxtelescopes.com/ ;
http://www.hawastsoc.org/ ; The all seemed like great folks, so if you shoot
them an e-mail, they may be able to point you in the right direction to get
some observing.

Chuck

From: acrayon@xxxxxxx
To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:17:48 -0700

#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage
{font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;}

Jimmy, glad you had a good time, despite the dewing factor.

Debbie, perhaps you can find an astronomy group and make contact with them
before leaving.  I've seen several web sites of astronomy clubs and
organizations in Hawaii but am not sure exactly where.  Let us know what you
find out.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ

From: jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx
To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:55:47 -0700

#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv634863525 .ExternalClass
li.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv634863525 .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal
{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman', 'serif';}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass a:link, #yiv634863525 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass a:visited, #yiv634863525 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle17
{font-family:'Arial',
'sans-serif';color:windowtext;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none
 none;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18
{font-family:'Calibri', 'sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle20
{font-family:'Calibri', 'sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass .EC_MsoChpDefault
{font-size:10.0pt;}
 _filtered #yiv634863525 {}
#yiv634863525 .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1
{}

The humidity was always around 65 % to 70 %. If your optics were the least bit
cooler than ambient or as soon as the sun went down things would start dewing
up pretty quickly. At times I had to keep the hair dryer close at hand to keep
things clear. Sometimes the ship would dew up so much that I could actually
“skate” around on the upper decks in just my tennis shoes as it got fairly
slippery at times.
 It was a blast!
Jimmy