[sac-forum] Re: Costco OEM Meade DS-2090 AT-TC

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:51:15 -0700

How much for the My Little Pony?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Jones" <timj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:52 PM
Subject: [sac-forum] Costco OEM Meade DS-2090 AT-TC

Hi Folks,

If you're looking for the killer deal on a small aperture Refractor, Costco membership has its perks!

OEM DS 2090 AT-TC
1.25" diagonal and back opening (versus 0.96" on original 2080/2090)
New tripod - Aluminum - light, very sturdy so far...
Autostar 497 30K objects (versus 494 1.4K objects with current standard Meade versions)
Red Dot Finder (OK, so it's not a Telrad)
5 MA Eyepieces (25mm, 20mm, 17mm, 12mm, 6mm) in case
Eyepiece tray fits inside the tripod legs
Handcontroller slot on tray
Combo Compass/Bubble level
Focuser feels smooth (but we'll see in low light...)

Only downside - no Barlow (or upside depending on your inclination).

The unbelievable side of this is a purchase price of $199.99! But wait, if you order in the next twenty minutes - hey, we can't do this all day, Ooops, wrong commercial...

To keep $199 in perspective:

Autostar 497 - $249 ($150 on deep sale)
5 MA Eyepieces - $125

Before you even take the tube, optics, and tripod into account, you're so rightside up it's almost illegal!

I've seen these at the Raintree store in Scottsdale and the Cave Creek/ 101 store in N. Phoenix. They are in with the seasonal goodies (keyboards, guitars, drums, My Little Pony...).

Even if you don't need one, they may be just the ticket for a budding astronomer.

Tim