[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:43:54 -0700

The other day Rick Rotramel put out a message asking for drawings for this
month's column.  So here are the lists for the next two months for our Call for
Observations.  As you probably saw Dick Harshaw's message about the newsletter
publication we will have a few days for you to get observations in and for me
to put the article together.  Have fun!

We’ll follow up with Ursa Major again, only this time we will stay east of the
11hour Right Ascension line of demarcation.  Again, starting in the southerly
part of the constellation there’s NGC3941, a bright barred galaxy with a
brighter middle.  Now, moving up to the southwest parts of the bowl find the
barred spiral, M108, that is bright, large and elongated.  Estimate these
number for yourself along with its position angle.  Since it is 48’ to the
southeast try M97, the Owl Nebula.  The NGC gives this planetary nebula two
exclamation marks - why?  The 3a description is for an irregular disk with very
irregular brightness.  Do you see these features and where.  Moving to the
bottom of the bowl on the other side is NGC4088 another elongated, barred
spiral.  You should be able to see the brighter middle but what about a
distorted arm?  Look about 11’ to the south to see NGC4085.  It could be a
challenge at 2.5’X0.8’ and magnitude 12.4.  You will probably appreciate our
skipping the next, rather close, object.  It is M40 and will be save for some
time in the very distant future.  Also skipping M101 and saving it for another
time to study its nearby galaxies we move to the early barred spiral NGC5368 at
13th mag it will also be somewhat of a challenge, but give it a try anyway.  It
is faint, small and round.  Now going near Alkaid, actually 2.6° is more like
it, is NGC5250, 13th mag and small.  I don’t get the NGC description of pretty
bright, do you?  Now for some challenges above the handle of the Big Dipper.
First is NGC5007 which is 5.2’ southwest from mag 6.5 circumpolar SAO 15999.
The galaxy is mag 13.3, listed a very faint and very small.  In the 20’ field
of view are 3 UGC galaxies UGC 8214, mag 14.4, is 12’ in PA 282°, UGC 8234, mag
14.0, is 7’ in PA 330° (this galaxy is listed in the SAC database as MCG
+10-19-040 ) and UGC 8237, mag 13.9, is 8’ in PA 344°.  Continuing above the
handle is the much easier NGC5322  at mag 10.2, an elliptical galaxy, somewhat
elongated, irregular round(?) and brighter middle.  Of this selection are two
Messier objects, four Herschel 400 of which two are 110 Best NGC.

Continuing with our survey of galaxies for the spring take a look at these gems
in Virgo.  Most to the selections will be in the Herschel 400 list but will
include one from the Best of the NGC and one from the Messier Catalog.
Beginning in the northeast part of the constellation is the majestic M 61.  It
is a face-on barred spiral at magnitude 9.6 is large with a brighter middle.
It has had supernovas in 1926, 1961 and 1964.  Next is NGC4388 and edge-on lens
shape spiral at magnitude 11.  It is near M 84 and has 2 other galaxies in a
30’ field.  Moving on to the southern reaches of the constellation, is an
asterism titled Jaws as in the jaws of a shark.  It is 25' west northwest of M
104 or at 12h 38.5m -11° 30' and is a chain of stars in the outline of a shark.
 What do you see here?  Now moving way out to the western reaches of the
constellation start with a group of 3 galaxies.  First is middle and brightest
of the group, NGC5576, 11th mag, small with a very little brighter middle.
Second is NGC5574 2.9’ to the southwest, is faint, small and round.  Third is
NGC5577 10’ towards the north is also faint and edge-on.  Not to far away is
the 12th mag NGC5740, another barred spiral that has an irregular shape and a
gradually brighter middle.  Does the shape suggest the bar to your eye?  The
next galaxy is just 18’ towards the north.  Look for an edge-on galaxy that is
large, pretty bright and has a very bright nucleus.  That is NGC5746.  What
does it look like to you?  Now moving to the very west is a quartet of
galaxies.  They are NGC5839, NGC5845, NGC5846 and NGC5850.  The brightest of
the group is the 10th mag NGC5846 and is a large and round elliptical galaxy.
Fartherest west is NGC5839 at mag 12.7 and is rather small.  Next is NGC5845 a
mag 12.5 elliptical.  How much detail do you see in this elliptical?  Last is
NGC5850 a barred spiral of mag 10.8.  It is moderately large, a little
elongated, has a brighter middle and is slightly elongated.  Does the brighter
middle look like part of the bar?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ