[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:59:41 -0700

This call is for the objects that are west of 11hrs Right Ascension, the lists
of which follows.  But you need to know that observations sent a few weeks ago
were lost.  This includes, if memory serves me correctly, Charlie Whiting, Dick
Harshaw and Rick Rotramel.  So, could you 3 gentlemen re-send your observations.

Here's the list for the upcoming installment.

For a re-beginning the first constellation will be Ursa Major but we will
confine our observations to the west of 11 hours Right Ascension.  Naturally
this means we will be looking at galaxies, galaxies and more galaxies so get
ready.  The selections seem to be in 2 major areas and we will start with the
more southerly one.  That means the very first is NGC3184 a pretty bright
barred spiral near the Leo Minor border.  Can you see the attached star in the
northern part of the spiral arms and the 2 very faint HII regions connected on
the west side?  These 2 regions are labeled NGC3180/81.  A little more to the
north is NGC3198 another barred spiral but is elongated rather than face-on.
Can you see any bar structure for these 2 galaxies.  Also, can you see the
double star just off the northern edge pf 3198?  If so estimate magnitudes,
position angle and separation.  Now, moving to a more northerly position find
NGC2639 towards the southwest corner of the constellation.  It is bright
elongated and has a brighter middle.  So what other identifying feature do you
see?  Next is the barred spiral NGC2787 found a little more than 3° west of
M81.  What about the several faint stars involved and near-by?  While at it
what is it about the bar?  Now for Coddington’s Nebula, named after Edwin
Coddington and is IC 2574 listed as faint, large and irregular.  Keep in mind
that Coddington also discovered 1 comet and 3 asteroids.  Now, moving closer to
the 11h limit is NGC3310 found up near the bowl of Big Dipper.  This is a
peculiar barred spiral.  What seems peculiar to your eye?  Our final selection,
near the west edge of the bowl is NGC3488 and isn’t very bright but a little
elongated.  In his 72” telescope Lord Rosse called it considerably bright.  OK
we don’t have a 72” telescope but out optics are far superior, so would you
call it considerable bright.  Finally amongst the selected galaxies NGC3184,
NGC3198, NGC2787 and NGC3310 are Herschel 400 objects.  So if you haven’t
started the Herschel 400, now is a good time to start.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ