[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:50:40 -0700

Here's the list for this and next month.  Hopefully we can get some new
observations for the next column but, if not, then use some from days gone by.

It is rather surprising to me that Virgo has only been done once in this series
of observing sessions.  This means, naturally, time for a second pass.  Because
of the rather late time of year for this constellation, our selections will
remain in the easterly region.  We begin in the east or northeast part of the
constellation with NGC5566 a barred galaxy with ring.  The dimensions indicate
an elongated galaxy, but the NGC description doesn’t follow up on this.  What
do you see here?  Note there are two other galaxies in the field, but they are
fainter than 12th mag.  Going a little further east and about one-degree south
is the elliptical galaxy NGC5576.  Its E2 class would indicate very little
elongation.  In addition to this note there are two other galaxies in the
field, but like out last object, there are fainter than 12th mag.  Our next
object will be somewhat of a surprise.  Our slew takes us on a more southerly
route to NGC5634 a globular cluster!  What sort of resolution do you see?
Moving more to the northeast is barred galaxy NGC5746.  It is located just 20’
west of northwest from 109 Virginis.  Although it is elongated can you detect
central condensation or brightening.  Also in the field of view is NGC5740,
another galaxy listed as mag 11.9.  Inching more eastward, near the Serpens
Caput border, is NGC5846.  This is another elliptical galaxy that should appear
round to you eye.  Is it?  Beware here, our last object NGC5850 is in the same
field of view and it is up to you to identify which is which.  Making this a
more challenging project is the fact that there are other galaxies in the same
field and near-by.  You will not find a count of the galaxies here, it is up to
you to determine the count and what you see in your telescope.  Report your
observations giving angle and distance of all from either of the two last ones
on this list.  Another note about which the reader and observer should be
aware.  All but the last are on the Herschel 400 list.  Even if you have
already observed these, go out and do so again and don’t compare notes until
after you have re-observed.  What do you find of interest?

After completing these observations, take a few minutes and look towards the
east.  What do you see?

Now for the following month we have a new comer – Serpens also called Serpens
Cauda, which I sometimes call Serpens to the east as in east of Ophiuchus.
After that brief introduction we will look for numerous stellar collections and
will start with Ru 135 located at 17 58.0 -11 39.  It doesn’t have a magnitude
but is listed as 11’ with 20 stars of similar brightness.  Second is NGC6535 a
class XI globular cluster and its 9.3 mag and 1.3’ should be easy to spot.
Swinging much farther south is 6th mag NGC6605 with stars from 10th to 12th
mag.  Did you find it?  Now we move on to the choice of choices objects for
this month – M16!  Need more be said about this?  Yes, describe the stars and
nebulosity in your field of view and try some filters to see the results.  Now
we will try a dark nebula - LDN  564.  While dark nebula don’t have magnitudes
its size is listed as 45’X15’.  Have a look and see what you think.  Coming
down to the final two is IC4756 an open cluster.  It has about 80 stars from
mag 8.7 on down in 39’.  Our final one, another open cluster, comes from our
good friend in Flagstaff - Archinal 1, located at 18 54.7 +05 33.  It is about
4° west of IC4756, is 1.5’ and has 24 stars from mag 13.4.  It won’t be very
easy to spot. Can’t you just see Brent grinning from ear to ear?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ