[sac-forum] Beyond the NGC is Beyond the Pale

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:32:49 -0600

After the FlatIron session, I concluded that the 'Best of the Beyond' is
quite a curious bunch of objects. I don't know what was the point of the
absolute SADISTS who compiled this list or what they were trying to prove,
but I'm sure they enjoyed it immensely. Some few of the objects are
ridiculously easy, but many more are excruciatingly and painfully difficult.
Or as the euphemism goes, these are "Challlenge Objects" (hair-pullers,
OK?). If you hate tiny starlike planetaries, you'll positively love to hate
this list. Every strange object type in every weirdo catalog is represented
here, each observation you make a #$%&# in itself. If you ever get thru this
one you will be quite the well-rounded observer, and probably bald.

I'm still hazy on 'Best of the Beyond the NGC' vs. the 1000+. I thought we
agreed that the Best of the Beyond was disincluded from the 1000+, yet the
website incorrectly lumps it with the other lists of those which can't be
observed.

Jack