[sac-forum] Re: 2 subjects-money and Holiday party

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:20:58 -0700

Stanley A. Gorodenski wrote:

>Why is it that EVAC is always considerably cheaper than SAC? Their dues
>are now $25.

I'm finding this whole thread most interesting.

Since I tried to discuss this before and offered several suggestions,
some SAC  board members seem to be not interested in raising money
nor in increasing the membership. However, higher dues seemed fine.

It addition, SAC is unable to show tangible value to membership for
paying dues. Even simple things like issuing membership cards and
inexpensive name tags could go a long way in member perception of
getting "something" for their money. I thought it was my deafness
that prohibited me from knowing more than a handful of club members
(I still don't know who AJ is), but I have found at least several
other who are in the same position and hear fine. Name tags would
certainly help and I'm not talking about the fancy engraved ones.

For additional income the club's web site is begging to provide a
means of significant income (sale of books, tee shirts, donated
items, items for sale by members with a small % $ donated to the
club), but some board members cannot seem to see it. There are many
inexpensive ways to handle that. I know. That is part of my business
to develop such sites.

Unless something is changed (and many seem against any change), I
suspect the membership will continue to decline and dues continue to
rise. Regardless of what EVAC does, SAC has the potential to become a
really great club, lower dues, have a bigger budget and do much more
in the world of astronomy.

BTW, I find it impossible to understand the financial report in the
newsletter. The rows have no labels. There was mention of a $1300
check for a scholarship fund given to Challenge SCA and two club
mirrors sold for $900, but these amounts are nowhere to be seen in
the report. To me the report is the page with the $$ figures. This
does not instill confidence in me that the club is on sound financial
ground nor give me a positive feeling of the future of the club. The
financial report is the key to seeing if the club will prosper, just
survive or go under. It may seem raising dues will solve some
problems, but then I don't think that has been thought out. Raising
dues most likely will cause a further decrease in membership and land
the club back in the same financial canoe. I hope this can be
corrected and SAC can prosper.

Jeff
--
                                           Jeff Hopkins