[sac-board] WARNING--Sentinel Road Closed

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ctayltay" <ctayltay@xxxxxxx>,"David Wendy Levy" <wendee@xxxxxxxxxx>,"Erdmann, Robert E" <robert.e.erdmann@xxxxxxxxx>,"SAC LIST" <SAC-Announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 02:48:14 -0700

Bad News;

The usual observing spot at Sentinel will not be available for several weeks.
As Chuck mentioned there is a lot of heavy equipment at the place where the
road crosses the railroad tracks and they are working on the tracks and the
only info I could get is that the work will take several weeks.  Now you know
all that I know.  So, I am hoping that very few people will miss this message
and drive all the way down there only to find that the road is closed by a
LARGE earth mover.

So, second choice, let's try the KOFA site.  Drive 90 miles west out of Phoenix
on I-10 and turn left (south) on Vicksburg Road (exit 45).  There is a Tomahawk
Truck Stop at this exit.  Get on the dirt road going south into the KOFA
wilderness.  Curt Taylor and I found a spot back in about 8 miles.  On the left
side of the road was a huge desert pavement formation, lots of room for folks
and scopes.  I believe it will be far enough from the truckstop to block off
lights.  If not, we can search around on Saturday afternoon.

It certainly was a LONG drive to Sentinel only to find the road blocked off, if
you know of anyone going this weekend, please give them a call.

Clear Skies and easy access to an observing site;
Steve

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx
Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: