Whaddya know, the site is hacked again. Sigh...
On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Robert Brewington <eridanibrew@xxxxxxxxx>
The web site has been cleaned again for the moment.
As I mentioned in Friday's meeting, I think we should change our site
hosting vendor. Our current contract expires in December, so this is a good
time to switch.
Please reply with thoughts so we can all be somewhat agreed before the
November board meeting.
We are currently running a very old hosting plan on GoDaddy; it is no
longer available (or supported very much). They want us to convert to a
current hosting plan, which is essentially equivalent to moving to another
vendor. The site would be unloaded, moved to the new server, then installed
in a new WordPress installation.
I run a couple of other sites on HostGator. I have had good success there;
the sites have almost identical WordPress configurations to the Sac site,
and have had no attacks for whatever reason. HostGator provides more
features (for example, they include an SSL which costs roughly $80 per
Other people may have other vendors they like? If so, let me know and I
will run down the costs and features for that vendor for comparison.
A simple cost comparison for equivalent plans from GoDaddy (switching to a
current plan) and HostGator is shown below. HostGator is significantly
cheaper. Both vendors offer a low first year price, which goes up for
subsequent years. So, I am looking at a 3 year cost.
Plan Hatchling Plan
Three year cost $955 $382
Database size 1Gb
Site Transfer ?included?
On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Michael Poppre <popps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We spoke last night about the ongoing cyber attacks on the SAC webpage.
Today I see even the home page is affected. It is asking for verification
which is, I think, a phishing attempt to down load God knows what on to
Brew mentioned he is looking at a solution and would present it next
We need to move away from GoDaddy as they don't seem to be able to prevent
these attacks. I'm wondering who East Valley uses?
I don't think we should wait. If Brew has a solution, put the cost to the
board and get an approval. My $0.02
FTL from Epsilon Eridani