[sac-board] Re: Telescope donations...

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:39:53 -0700

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:00:58 -0700, Thad Robosson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Brian Workman just sent me the following email......
>
>> Thad,
>>
>> As a member of the SAC board and the telecope making subgroup, I figure
>> you're the perfect person for this.
>>
>> I just received a couple of 'scopes that the previous owners wanted to
>> donate to the club. One of them is a 6 inch f/4(?) newtonian. I took the
>> liberty of assembling it to see if it was complete, and everything appears
>> to be there with the exception of the rod for the counterweight. It even has
>> two plossl eyepieces (7 and 25mm I think). There is no brand name on it that
>> I can see, although it appears to be Russian made and has "Event Horizon" on
>> the side.
>>
>> The other is an inexpensive field scope with a small (12") tripod.
>>
>> Will SAC accept these items? If so, what would you like me to do, bring them
>> to the next meeting, or something else?
>>

> Firstly, is there a provision in the Constitution for accepting such,
> and secondly, would there be any objections
> to my taking possession so that I may assess them?  I would be more than
> happy to make them available to
> new members, much as Jack has done.

There are no provisions for accepting donations in the constitution.  But
then, does there really need to be one?

About the only thing that needs worrying about is any requirements from
the donater for accepting the donation.  If you assume "time is money",
then there is a limit on what the board can do without the approval of the
entire club.

As presented, this really is a no-brainer.  Accept the donation.

Later, the club (or ATM group) can assess the donations and decide whether
to keep the scopes as loaner scopes for selling them.

Even a department store refractor can be a very good scope if you
replace/improve the stand and eyepieces.

        -Paul