[sac-board] Re: Star Party Disclaimer

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:48:08 -0700

On Thu, 8 May 2003 22:04:40 -0700, Steve Coe wrote:

> I am just asking here, OK.......
>
> Can't we make this thing a little shorter?  It really reads like some
> ambulance-chasing lawyer made it up.  Maybe just "This club is not liable
> for injury or damages incurred while at an event sponsored by SAC".  I mean,
> if they are going to sue us, they are going to sue anyway.....none of this
> jargon ever does anything worthwhile at the trial, does it?

That abbreviated statement would not be true.  It's too simple to be
meaningful, and by existing, could be considered a challenge.

The longer disclaimer is basically (it's been changed slightly) what our
insurance provider gave us.  In its long winded way, it suggests that
participants behave like mature adults and that any lawsuit would require
proving that SAC's board had acted in a reckless manner.  By having the
longer disclaimer, it says that SAC has at least a document behavior
policy.

Now to change tacts; I feel that the full disclaimer is unnecessary for
public star party announcements.  It can't hurt to have some sort of
statement requesting people to behave in a mature and responsible manner
and oversee their children as well.  Any suggestions for such a statement?