[sac-board] Sentinel-Schwaar Stargaze

  • From: jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: sac-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:44:40 -0700

Looks like it's a go!

SENTINEL-SCHWAAR STARGAZE
March 8-9, 2002
> Saguaro Astronomy Club Star Party
>
> SATURDAY MARCH 8&9, 2002,  SENTINEL
3/8 SUNSET is at 6:34 pm, Moonrise is at 3:45 am.
3/9 SUNSET is at 6:35 pm, Moonrise is at 4:32 am.
Sunrise 6:50 am.

> Here are the directions to get to the site:

To get to the site, drive to Gila Bend, AZ. and get on the I-8 freeway going
west toward Yuma.  The Sentinel exit is about 30 miles west from Gila Bend.
Take the exit and go south, under the freeway and across the railroad
tracks.  Go straight south on the dirt road and drive 2 miles until you see
a large, flat area of the desert to your left, white rocks mark the site.
It is before a cattle guard.  YOU ARE THERE!

The Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze is a chance for astronomers to meet at an
Arizona dark sky site.  It is sponsored by the Deep Sky Group of the Saguaro
Astronomy Club in memory of Pierre Schwaar.  There is no registration and no
fee to attend, just show up and enjoy the night sky. In the past, folks have
arrived on Friday, for two nights of observing. There will be a portapotty
at the site Friday and Saturday.  There are no other facilities at the site,
it is just a large flat area in the middle of the desert southwest.  It gets
both hot and cold, depending on the whim of the weather, so bring cool water
and warm clothes.  Please be courteous about white light, many observers and
photographers are going after very dim objects.

Spicastar@xxxxxxx