[sac-board] Re: SAC 30th Anniversary Shirts

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 03:03:38 -0700

You can start here:
http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/messier/Messier.html
http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/messier/xtra/history/CMessier.html
Here's the scoop on the portrait:
http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/messier/xtra/history/cm_image.html
This is evidently from a photograph by Owen Gingerich, the astronomy
historian.
The portrait is also reproduced in "The Messier Album" by Evred Kreimer
and John Mallas (both Phoenix amateurs; Kreimer is still living; Mallas
died some years ago, rather prematurely.)
And in "Messier's Nebula and Star Clusters," by Kenneth Glyn Jones.
There is also a less flattering portrait of Messier in old age in "Deep
Sky Companions -- The Messier Objects," By Stephen James O'Meara.
O'Meara also has a line drawing of Messier observing with a mural (wall
mounted) transit instrument, but with his back turned.....
Gene Lucas
(17250)