[sac-board] Printed materials

  • From: "Peter Argenziano" <pargenz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Board" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:34:02 -0700

Regarding the brochure, I got the printing done, but not the folding. The two
shops that I normally use have just too much year-end work for me to ask for
free time on a piece of equipment. We can wait until after the first, or we can
fold them manually. I folded about 10 of them... it's not too difficult. ;--)>
I noticed that the three columns aren't exactly the same width, but certainly
close enough for this project. The variance is within four points, or so. In
future printing, I'd probably omit the fold marks. When shifting the image they
have a tendency to not align precisely on the fold, thereby appearing in the
clear space. If they aren't eliminated I'd at least make them a light grey
color. I did have to shift one panel (on one side only) to keep the graphics
off of the fold. In the master document the panel with the map and calendar
should be shifted (independently of everything else) about 6 points (~ 2 mm) to
the right. Also it wouldn't hurt to shift the panel with the three photos about
10 points (~ 3.5 mm) to the right.

I used PitStop Pro to do the shift and noticed (admittedly after they were
printed) that the shift clipped the left edge of the orange-ish box. If I
shifted it back to the right the fold mark was no longer along the fold. Given
the intended purpose of this document I think they are of a quite acceptable
quality. In fact, those who saw them thought they looked very nice indeed. Good
job, Paul.

In the future it would be much easier for me to work with native files as this
PDF didn't behave in PitStop as expected. I tend to use tools that are
standards in the printing and publishing industry, and Adobe PDFs and PitStop
are certainly that. I'm unsure how the tool Paul used built the PDF. It has
been my experience over the years that PDFs built using engines other than
Adobe's Distiller (e.g. Ghostscript, Amyuni, CGI scripts, various freeware and
shareware, etc.) all produce slightly varying results. In this file almost all
segments were flattened (except the photos), where normally almost all elements
are editable. In this PDF all but the photos were tagged as uneditable.
Peculiar. If we do something similar in the future, perhaps I can work with a
PostScript version of the document? That I could bring into InDesign or Quark
(printing and publishing standards) and have more control.

I hope my explanation didn't sound harsh or anything -- it certainly wasn't
meant that way as I believe SAC has a great little brochure!

I will give them to Gene, along with the Marathon waivers, to bring to
Saturday's soiree. Look them over and see if they meet with everyone's
approval. If they do... start folding (or wait until January). If not, I'll get
them re-printed.

Peter